Sam Clarke on Achilles Wrath, Shipwreck Cove
|Rock Type||Natural Carboniferous Limestone|
|Approach Time||25 minutes|
|Local Area||Rhossili Sea Level Crags|
|WGS-84 Location||51.56896, -4.29483|
|OS Grid Ref.||SS 410 880|
|WGS-84 Parking Location||51.569301, -4.28840|
|GR Parking Location||SS 415 880|
|Parking Postcode||SA3 1PP|
|Base Elevation||0 metres (Other)|
|Seepage||Needs a short dry spell|
|Before/After Low Tide||2.0 hours (See Note)|
|Crags Within a Half Mile.|
Black Buttress, Black Wall, Calcite Bay, Carbon Slab, Castaway Cove, Conglomerate Cliff, Evening Wall, Eyeball Wall, Fat Lady Wall, Giant's Cave, Hairy Dog Wall, Keel Buttress, King Wall, Lewes Castle, Lifebuoy Buttress, Mermaid Wall, Platform Area, Poser Buttress, Retribution Wall, Rolly Bottom Buttress, Seamen Wall, Sheepbone Wall, Shipwreck Cove, Silent Fright Buttress, Silent Walls, Sinister Sister Zawn, Sinners Walls, Trial Wall, Upper Jacky's Tor, Wedge Wall, Windy Buttress, Yellow Wall
Approximately 2 hours before/after low tide but can vary considerably with neaps and springs.
About one third of the way along the beach heading towards Kitchen Corner is a small cove with a wildly overhanging west wall. Two diagonal breaks trending left cut through the left side of this tidal wall.
- Stuart's Stolen Project - Fr. 6c
Was a closed project stolen 17 may 2014 along with Hand Shandy. 20m
- Mutiny Crack - E4 6a
Probably here? Follow line of large pods to roof then jam to the BB of Attrition.
- Wrecking Ball - Fr. 7a+
Bisects the following route. 18m
- Attrition - E5, 6a
Bolt belay saves a 50 m loose top out.
- Marine Layer - Fr. 7a
The sporting diagonal, L.O. shared with Wrecking Ball. 16m.
- Bootneck - Fr. 7c
Ateeper variation start to One Ton Depot. 16m.
- One Ton Depot - Fr. 7b+
Crux at top. 20m.
- Vennerne - Fr. 7c+
- Air Show - Fr. 8b
A former closed project of Adrian's. 20m.
There is another closed project of Rob Lamey's beyond here and two very steep routes at the right hand end of the cave. Above these two route are several recently bolted "closed works in progress" awaiting the return of dry conditions.
- Eurofighter - Fr. 8b
A bit steep.
- Helvetia - Fr. 8b+
Pretty Steep. 20m.
- Delta Dagger - Fr. 8a
Just steep. 20m.
- Gunshow - Fr. 8a+
A link cup best supped when dry.
- Cannonade - Fr. 7c+
- Achilles Wrath - Fr. 8b
Super steep roof work, Chain L.O. above the cave lip. 15m.
- Hector Protector - Fr. Fr 8b
roof climbing to join the steep fin on flat holds. 17m.
- King George vs. The Suffragettes - Fr. 7a+
The right side of the roof via a steep boulder problem. 10m.
Up above are a series of "easier"routes many of which are traversing in nature and still a bit wobbly. Best stripped by seconding and done when the circus is out of town below.
- Elvis Was A Longboarder - Fr. 6a+
- Cocky Black Chauffage- Fr. 6c
Up by there,risque by jove.
- Cross Incontinents - Fr. 6c
Just pad on up,often damp.
- Nice day for a fake wedding - Fr. 5c
- Jack Ketch's Dance- Fr. 6b
More up by there butty
- Dylan's Delight - Fr. 6c
Right up by there.
- Blockiness - Fr. 6c+ ***
Brilliant steep climbing on (mainly) huge buckets. Tricky to read if unchalked.(a large block has parted from the start in overwinter storms so the grade may be altered).
- Sand Man - Fr. 6b
The central groove line. Good off-balance climbing marred slightly by the corner which forms a sand chute.
- Par 3 - Fr. 6b+ **
Cracking wall climbing with good rests between steepenings.
- John's Route - Fr. 6a+ **
Another cracking wall climbing with good rests between steepenings based around the shallow cave/roof.
- First Handout - Fr. 6a+**
Gain the ramp continue to a niche with belay above.
- Make a Splash/Hand Shandy - Fr. 6a+
Was a works in progress, to same belay as previous, now a stolen project!
Shipwreck Cove (Left)
- Where has Stu Gone?Unknown 2014
- Mutiny Crack
- Wrecking Ball Rob Lamey, 1st September 2012
- Attrition - P.Littlejohn, J.Mothersele 1997
- Marine Layer Rob Lamey, 25th May 2013
- Bootneck - F7c Andy Sharp, August 2017
- One Ton Depot - Rob Lamey, 9th August 2012
- Vennerne - Rob Lamey, 11th August 2012
- Airshow - Adrian Berry, 7th July 2013
- Helvetia - Ben West, 19th August 2014
- Delta Dagger - Dave Pickford, 15th August 2014
- Achilles Wrath- Simon Rawlinson, November 2012
- Hector Protector - Simon Rawlinson, November 2012
- King George vs. The Suffragettes - Simon Rawlinson, November 2012
Shipwreck Cove (Right)
- Sand Man
- Par 3
- John's Route
- First Handout
- Make a Splash/Hand Shandy